ausis banner
AuSIS Forums
Australia seismology colleges - Printable Version

+- AuSIS Forums (http://ausis.edu.au/forum)
+-- Forum: AuSIS Forum (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Welcome (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Australia seismology colleges (/showthread.php?tid=1671)

Pages: 1 2 3

Australia seismology colleges - Tom - 5 Apr 2015 02:40

I'm a dentist, my father - too, but my son like paleoseismology Undecided And he likes Australia Big Grin Can you, guys, give me an advice about colleges and universities who have programs in seismology? Is it good idea to move to Australia from US or we are too crazy?

Thanks!

RE: Australia seismology colleges - Natalie - 5 Apr 2015 10:54

(5 Apr 2015 02:40)Tom Wrote:  I'm a dentist, my father - too, but my son like paleoseismology Undecided And he likes Australia Big Grin Can you, guys, give me an advice about colleges and universities who have programs in seismology? Is it good idea to move to Australia from US or we are too crazy?

Thanks!

Hi Tom,
You certainly don't need to come all the way to Australia do study seismology or paleoseismology. There are lots of good Universities and colleges in the USA that have good programs. In fact, although I work on seismology in Australia I have actually done all my study in other counties. I grew up in New Zealand and did my undergrad studies there and then did my PhD in Canada. I would suggest your son starts his studies in the USA and then if he really wants to travel and study in other countries he can then look at other options.
Seismology and paleoseismology are quite different in some ways.
Seismology is the study of seismic waves travelling through the earth, quite often these are from earthquakes but they can be other things too. From this we learn about the structure of the interior of the earth and how it might respond to strong shaking from an earthquake. To study seismology you need a lot of physics and mathematics. Some computer science and earth science is helpful too.
Paleoseismology is the study of historical earthquakes. Quite often this involves digging trenches through faults, interpreting the geology and dating rocks to find out when the fault last ruptured. It can also involve looking at detailed images of the landscape to identify where faults might be. For Paleoseismology you would want to focus on geology, especially structural geology. Perhaps take courses in GIS, chemistry, physics and statistics as well. I am not a paleoseismologist so can't tell you for sure.
Anyway, it's good to keep your options open because you will never know what you might enjoy and want to pursue.
Natalie

RE: Australia seismology colleges - Tom - 12 Apr 2015 05:10

Will forward this topic to my son!
I really appreciate you help Natalie!
Thanks and good luck Smile

RE: Australia seismology colleges - andrewdroper - 9 Dec 2015 01:58

Thanks for information

RE: Australia seismology colleges - davidvicky - 23 Feb 2016 17:48

thank this good

RE: Australia seismology colleges - michelle_salmon - 30 May 2016 11:39

To study seismology I suggest that you concentrate on physics and maths, if your local college offers Earth Sciences then this is also a good place to start. Check out the programs at your local universities.

RE: Australia seismology colleges - michelle_salmon - 22 Aug 2016 09:40

Most of the big Universities in Australia teach some kind of seismology in their Earth Science programs. This includes:
The Australian National University
University of Western Australia
University of Tasmania
University of Queensland...

RE: Australia seismology colleges - gloriabutler01 - 20 Sep 2016 05:57

(22 Apr 2016 21:06)updatepedia Wrote:  Great info, thank you Admin. Smile

Thanks for SHaring.

RE: Australia seismology colleges - gloriabutler01 - 20 Sep 2016 05:58

Wonderful post.This is nice post and gives in depth information. I like to read this post because I met so many new facts about it actually.Thanks a lot. I bookmark your blog because I found very good information on your blog, Thanks for sharing

RE: Australia seismology colleges - whatsappstatus4u - 23 Sep 2016 22:08

Thanks for sharing this information. Superb information.